Camp Status:

Begin Year: 
End Year: 
Post Office Address/Status: 
137 COURT ST, 41601-9998
Latitude: 37.615005000000
Longitude: -82.721493000000

     Incorporated as Allen City, this coal community lies at the confluence of Beaver Creek and the Levisa Fork, 3 1/2 mi south of Prestonsburg and now on both sides of the river.  A short-lived Post Office called Mouth of Beaver was founded in 1854. The town itself grew around the opening of the C&O RR Station “Beaver Creek Junction,” in1904-05. Shortly, thereafter, the second Post Office was established and named for T. J. Allen, an early resident and storekeeper.  Until 1936, the station and the town were still known as Beaver Creek and Beaver Creek Junction. Eventually, the present day name of Allen was adopted as not to confuse the shipments of mail coming into town.  Between the years of 1919-1928, three coal companies were operating in Allen, employing about 100 workers: Dwale Coal Co., Elmer-Elkhorn Coal Co., and Malone Elkhorn Coal Co.

     The Bridge connecting old and new Allen is officially named the R.D. “Doc” Marshall Bridge for local dentist elected to public office as Floyd County Judge Executive. The bridge expanded the community for business and housing on both sides of the river. The spilled-over community is referred to by locals as “New Allen” while the older community is best known as “Old Allen.”

 -written by Lisa Stumbo, Director of ECHO, Big Sandy Community and Technical College, submitted 4/5/2014


Notable Residents:

Banjo player Rufus Crisp:

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.